Do you remember when I scored me some FREE oppy furniture?
Well, it’s been sitting around, mocking me, for ages, and so, after the L’Amour table, armed with a whole lot of white paint – I decided to fix the cupboard.
Here was the beast before:
Now. Nothing much went right with this, but that’s okay. All the things that went wrong made for a cupboard that I like just right.
The crows – were never meant to be. I didn’t envision them, have a theme in mind or anything, they happened from necessity. I sanded back as much of the icky brown muck as I could & set about painting everything. On the second coat I noticed teeny tiny holes in one of the doors – some sort of little creature had burrowed in there at some point. I know you are able to fix this with some sort of wood filler & sanding again, but I was on my second coat of paint and, let’s face it, I’m lazy. I just kept going.
Painting the top/lid I noticed that there were 3 massive cracks along one side. Bugger. I kept going.I wondered what to do about the holes & the cracks. “No wonder it was free” I mumbled to myself “What do I have in copious amounts that I could use to cover these up?”
The answer of course, was buttons, buttons, buttons & I thought I was onto something until I placed some over the holes to see what they looked like & they didn’t look good, at all. It was a look akin to seashells stuck in putty on a vegemite jar & called a vase.
Then I thought a decal would cover them – yes! Yet I was surprisingly decal-less. Instead I printed out some crow silhouettes on photo paper & cut ‘em out. The wee ones are doing a spiffing job of flying over the little holes, and the big ones on the lid are sitting pretty on the cracks – just like they are meant to be there, in my opinion.
The next things I had trouble with were the handles. The hardware shop didn’t have what I wanted (black) so I came home & painted the little mouldings at the end of the old handles black.