15.8.10

Hitting the wall.

pennys

Today’s ‘Flea Market Find’ (I see Sophie is too busy to play this week, but that isn't going to stop me...) is not new, just something I finally got around to using! Ages ago I got a massive stack of old Woman’s Weekly romance novels; I thought they would be good collaged on one of my ugly opped cupboards, but last week I painted those… so….

I have been fighting with our room since we moved to Le Cottage. It is small. It is dark. Apart from the hall, it is the only room that isn’t plastered, so you can see the boards. It doesn’t even have the redeeming feature of a beautiful high ceiling like Punk’s room, because the loft is built above it.

wall7

I had been trying to make it somehow look bigger, brighter, and that is where I was going wrong. Last week, like I said, I painted the cupboards. The intention was to make them both a nice, solid, glossy white, but after one coat I stopped, liking the shabby chic (or more like shabby shabby) look that one dodgy coat bought. Making the room seem bigger is, I think, an impossible task. Not only is the re-built ceiling too low, it is entirely brown wood!

yesaliceitwould

Yesterday it dawned on me. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I had to work with what I had. A small, dark, room. What do real-estate agents say of small, dark rooms? That they’re ‘cosy’.

wall3

Bingo.

wall2

So that revelation lead to my evening’s labour – haphazardly sticking sheets of ripped up old heart-racers behind the bed.

light1

I love it. Oh, and The Boy actually likes it too – I am shocked & awed.

So good to be back in the meme swing, even if I'm all by myself! Go see Soph for more Flea Market Finds from weeks gone by, and bookmark her blog for next time.

8 comments:

  1. That is so cool!
    I can't believe the fella likes it too - win win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks brilliant - but if I did it to my place, I would get so distracted reading stories that I'd never get anything done! (not sure what my current excuse is...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and hopw lucky that your Mr likes too!
    Now where do I get me some old romance mags.............. love it!

    Beki x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, that must have taken you ages! So glad the boy likes it too. Plus, it makes for a great thing to say when someone asks, "Why are you just staring at the walls?"

    "I'm reading!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't it great when the boy actually approves of something you've created/got from the op shop?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Looks great! Just joined your interesting blog lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's have a chat. And a biscuit. And some tea. And another biscuit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin