28.6.11

We have the technology.

knittingbook

wireless

I picked this up at the oppy more for the fabulous snapshot of bygone technology than the actual knitting patterns, but happily the patterns I might be tempted to try (…if it gets even colder & I forget I’m crap at knitting because I don’t want to go out the back to sew in the ice-box) are on the simpler side so Punk may yet be forced into some sort of mismatched thrifted yarn creation.

telly

I personally have memories of clicking the dial on the telly; fuzz, fuzz, fuzz, cartoons with a line scrolling across the screen, fuzz, fuzz, fuzz…

camera

Accidentally opening the back of the camera when it wasn’t wound off enough…

cassette

Not having a rewind on the cassette player so having to fast-forward on the opposite side to the one you wanted to listen to in order to listen to a song again.

headphones

Headphone’s so big & padded that I felt like I was a fighter pilot & having to hold them there if I wanted the music in my ears & not circulating around my neck.

radio

Which of these do you remember?

wireless2

12 comments:

  1. Oh I remember way too many of them.
    At least I am not old enough to have started forgetting them :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had written Tas's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that kid is very lucky... I was never allowed to touch my parents very expensive camera and it looked exactly like that one! I used to fast forward, flip over, hear a few more lyrics, try and write then down, turn over, fast forward, flip over again, get the lyrics I missed...dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum has that knitting book and I used to parade around in one of those stripey rainbow jumpers - and I actually used to look just like the girl modelling that jumper!! I think I may also have sported one like the white and orange one at some stage.

    And I remember being very excited when a friend got a VCR with a remote control (on a cable, still physcially attached to the VCR)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh we had the cassette player that sat next to the B/W Pye television that taped children's kids programmes like Puff n Stuff.

    I think my Mum made at least one of these jumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh all of the above! Technology was so fun back then, if a bit cumbersome. It actually required a bit of elbow grease. And what a novelty it was to sit with giant headphones on, attached to the record player.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! Those pictures are fantastic! When I was about 10 I got a cassette player that had a microphone. I thought it was pretty much the fanciest thing EVER. We used to fill whole tapes with "radio shows". Ah, it was grand...

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i so hope you knit up some of those patterns - they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have one of those radios from the last pic somewhere in the house. How sad is that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss that fuzz fuzz fuzz...

    ReplyDelete

Let's have a chat. And a biscuit. And some tea. And another biscuit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin